bencarsonIn April of 1990, Gifted Hands. In 1996 I read his sec­ond book Think Big

here. Please go lis­ten to it. I could not fit all the issues I had with this speech in one post.)
  • 2 Chron 7:14) and say­ing that his mother prayed for wis­dom to help him and his brother become more scholas­tic. For some, the most glar­ing prob­lem with this speech is that it was not appro­pri­ate for the occa­sion. Clearly I agree with that assess­ment. The National Prayer Break­fast has tra­di­tion­ally been a place where par­ti­san ran­cor has been laid aside
  • Dr. Car­son does not tell the whole story of eco­nom­ics in bib­li­cal Israel.
  • should have more lawyers in the room sir.
I expect that he would have a bet­ter sense of time and place.

###

JasonHines

A Har­vard Law grad­u­ate, Jason Hinesthe​hi​ne​sight​.blogspot​.com and is also an asso­ciate edi­tor of Reli​gious​Lib​erty​.TV, an inde­pen­dent reli­gious lib­erty website.

14 Comments

1. Glenn says:

Jason,
    Your crit­i­cism of his crit­i­cism of PC is itself PC. If he had got­ten the memo of the talk­ing points he clearly ignored it. He should have towed the lib­eral line and talked the talk that is accept­able in the pres­ence of Mr. Obama. Mr. Obama can and does use such oca­sions to push his agenda. When he does, praise is heaped on him for doing so.

Your com­ment also reflects the left’s under­stand­ing of bipar­ti­son­ship: bipar­ti­son­ship is when every­one sur­ren­ders to the lib­eral posi­tion and doesn’t even men­tion that there are other opinions..

His point about tithe was by way of exam­ple. Not as what to do for reli­gious rea­sons. We all know a flat tax will never pass. Far too many prod­ucts of our edu­ca­tional sys­tem think that pay­ing the same per­cent­age is the same as pay­ing the same amount. Politi­cians capi­tolize on and rein­force that by say­ing things such as ‘it’s not fair that a rich man should pay the same as a poor man.’

I feel for him because he is now squarely in the cross hairs of the Obam­abots gun sites. Oh, I’m not sup­posed to use such vio­lent rhetoric. But it’s only vio­lent when com­ing from a non-liberal. (FWI — Sarah Palin’s map was just like one ear­lier pub­lished by the DNC and broad­cast by the var­i­ous networks).

The usual silenc­ing mech­a­nism for what he said is to some­how call him a racist. When an African Amer­i­can dares break from lock­step his mes­sage is ren­dered mute by call­ing him an uncle tom. You refrained from that but came close …“deny his own his­tory”. There was a bit of the “how dare he”.

2. Rich DuBose says:

I agree with this assess­ment. It was a golden oppor­tu­nity missed.

3. Jason says:

My friend … I read your arti­cle and you can­not make me believe for a moment that your pol­i­tics have not shaded your cri­tique of Carson’s speech, just as if I will not try to act as if my pol­i­tics do not favor my lik­ing of his speech. I think your piece is extremely knit picky on trees while com­pletely fail­ing to see the for­est. Let me share an obser­va­tion for your con­sid­er­a­tion … maybe Car­son is mak­ing his rounds as you put it on con­ser­v­a­tive media because that is the only media that allows a dif­fer­ent point of view. All the other media out­lets tend to express only one nar­ra­tive for the pub­lic and by in large you expect from the media to be anit con­ser­v­a­tive and pro lib­eral. There­fore if it is not in favor of the present admin­is­tra­tion it will not get expo­sure. You cer­tainly can­not count the other media out­lets to report on the speech period because that is what PC is all about. PC is not about com­mu­ni­cat­ing respec­tively. It is about intim­i­dat­ing peo­ple to be silenced by call­ing peo­ple big­ots or racists or what­ever you want to label them from hav­ing a dif­fer­ent posi­tion. This Dr. Car­son knows well being that stu­dents, facutly, and par­ents tried to have him removed from giv­ing a com­mence­ment speech at a major uni­ver­sity not too long ago because of his expressed belief in cre­ation­ism. That is PC — You will be pun­ished if you do not believe or act in a way that WE (who­ever we is, wants). Crit­i­cize Car­son for not speak­ing about prayer, how much did the Pres­i­dent say about it? He basi­cally sug­gested it doesn’t work because he prays at the break­fast and then goes back to the White House to watch CNN. But I think you really need to re exam­ine just how much of your prob­lem with Car­son was not about the speech but really about your polit­i­cal ideology.

4. Alison Agins says:

A friend gave me as a gift Carson’s book. I had not known any­thing about his con­ser­v­a­tive bent. I was astounded by so much of what he wrote. I cer­tainly agree with Jason Hines. That was no place to tout one’s book. But per­haps those con­ser­v­a­tive folk just ate it up.

5. Jason says:

Glenn,

I wasn’t going to respond because I think much of what you said is not wor­thy of response, but I do want to clear up one thing. My say­ing that his ideas, “deny his own his­tory,” was not about attempt­ing to call him an Uncle Tom (I actu­ally hate that phrase and do not use it ever.). It was about deny­ing the fact that Dr. Car­son would not be where he is with­out pub­lic assis­tance. Went to a pub­lic school, relied on pub­lic funds in many ways, and now he sup­ports deny­ing or reduc­ing many of those ben­e­fits to oth­ers. But while I’m here let me say this too. You dras­ti­cally mis­un­der­stand my point about bipar­ti­san­ship. I never said he should say his pol­icy pre­scrip­tions that are con­ser­v­a­tive. I said that it’s disin­gen­u­ous to make state­ments about bipar­ti­san­ship when you have said noth­ing that sup­ported any left wing posi­tion. Thanks for your comment.

6. Jason says:

Jason,

I think we just spoke on FB, but I want to make it clear here, as I did there, that I did not hide the fact that I don’t agree with Ben Car­son polit­i­cally. But notice my post is largely about the rhetor­i­cal prob­lems with the speech (con­tra­dic­tions, bad exe­ge­sis, insuf­fi­cient expla­na­tions, incor­rect facts, false plat­i­tudes). Those are crit­i­cism that can be made regard­less of the con­tent. There are tons of speeches that I don’t like polit­i­cally but that make sense within their own frame­work. The same can­not be said for Dr. Carson’s speech. Thanks for your comment.

7. Car­son dared to speak out. Doing it five feet from Obama has added to the buzz and stirred up a lot of passion.

Car­son believes in self-determination…individuals are respon­si­ble for them­selves and have the God-given abil­ity to suc­ceed. Obama believes peo­ple are vic­tims and must be taken care of by the gov­ern­ment, or at the very least, give gov­ern­ment credit for their suc­cess. Even more, Obama believes that they are not just vic­tims of cir­cum­stances, but vic­tims of those who are suc­cess­ful. As such, Obama’s pol­i­tics and beliefs have a built-in dis­dain for those who rise above their circumstances…for those who become suc­cess­ful. Car­son says, “You can be suc­cess­ful,” and Obama says, “If you are, you will be the enemy.” Car­son had the chops to even point that out, chal­leng­ing us to praise the suc­cess­ful and tell their sto­ries as a means of moti­vat­ing soci­ety to do better.

8. TheJMan says:

Mr. Hines: I thought the speech was just right, in the right place and at the right time. This had noth­ing to do with pol­i­tics and every­thing to do with what is right. I am so glad he didn’t swell up and go PC. It may have been Brother Ben’s Best Oppor­tu­nity. Like Daniel talk­ing straight to Nebuchadnezzer.

9. Fabian says:

Jason: I under­stood your assess­ment of the speech. Car­son was on Fox News talk­ing about how all these peo­ple want him to run for pres­i­dent and he told Sean Han­nity that he wouldn’t mind. He is an arro­gant per­son with no orig­i­nal ideas who found a niche in a party des­per­ate for some­one dif­fer­ent. His stunt at the break­fast means he is either gun­ning for a posi­tion in the national GOP machine or try­ing to sell more books. Unlike you, I do not admire Dr. Car­son. His speech showed how unim­pres­sive he is.

10. Dale Fuhrmeister says:

Ed Dick­er­son says it all. Go to http://​out​look​mag​.org/​p​o​l​i​t​i​c​a​l​-​c​o​r​r​e​c​t​n​e​ss/
    Get off the manip­u­la­tion train! Polit­i­cal cor­rect­ness is a thinly veiled attempt, and all too suc­cess­ful at times, to con­trol oth­ers and quash all debate by those who don’t have a prayer and win­ning in such a debate!

11. Marc says:

Jason, when was the last time you “cri­tiqued a speech” given at a National Prayer Break­fast? To sug­gest that his pol­i­tics had noth­ing to do with you writ­ing this piece rings quite hol­low. What seems more obvi­ous is an attempt at dam­age con­trol for the per­ceived dis­as­ter of a con­ser­v­a­tive African-American.

12. Ovi Rad says:

A Seventh-day Adven­tist per­son­al­ity is it the news and guess what? some Seventh-day Adven­tists (or claim­ing to be…) already bull­doze the man. He is too con­ser­v­a­tive, he is too “smarty-pants”, he could’t fin­ish his argu­ment, he said noth­ing but “false plat­i­tudes”…

Dr.Carson, be care­ful with these (SDA) lawyers. They will sue you anyway…

13. Jason says:

Marc (and actu­ally any­one else who may come this way),

I have received a lot of crit­i­cism about this piece. I don’t mind it actu­ally, and my only regret is that it would be prac­ti­cally impos­si­ble to respond to you all. I have found that most of the crit­i­cisms about the post fall into 2 main cat­e­gories, and so I responded on my blog, where this piece orig­i­nated. Feel free to go there and read the piece, and we can have a more full dis­cus­sion there if you like. Here’s the link to my response — http://​the​hi​ne​sight​.blogspot​.com/​2​0​1​3​/​0​2​/​t​h​e​-​a​f​t​e​r​m​a​t​h​.​h​tml

Jason Hines

14. […] I Admire Ben Car­son, But … That Speech! (Jason Hines). “My admi­ra­tion for Dr. Car­son almost makes me reluc­tant to say what must be said.” […]

%d bloggers like this: