In the end, I find this movie to be a whitewash of a very compelling story in a difficult time in American history. Racism and segregation are not portrayed as the evil, insidious institutions that they are, but are depicted instead as the result of catty White women attempting to maintain their place within their own social hierarchy. Furthermore, Toure, in his belated review of “The Help,” discussed the idea of the magical Negro, so I won’t get into too much of it here. But I will say that I highly doubt that a White toddler needed her Black maid to remind her, “You is kind, you is smart, you is important.” It would’ve made better sense if the child said it to the maid.Read more ›
Post Tagged with: "Viola Davis"
- The Church is the University. The University is the Church.
- Christians Equipped to Work for Liberty of Conscience for All
- God Has Enough Grace for Everybody
- UPDATED: Drawing a Line Against Infanticide: Why the Trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell Matters
- Religious freedom under global threat, Canadian ambassador says (ANN)
- Steve Mahan: Why does the Adventist church allow abortions upon requests …
- Fabian: Winn might be unto something. Having spent at least 7 years…
- Vern Alger: Good work, Karen. It's too bad that even some churches are …
- Frank Z.: >Some will point out that Jesus Himself had some >pre…
- daniel rodela: Gary- many people have sacrificed more than a weapon to atte…
Get Our Newsletter
- The Church is the University; The University is the Church http://t.co/EqQtN5MWvd #currentevents # May 16, 2013
- The Church is the University; The University is the Church: By Michael D. Peabody, Esq. The General ... http://t.co/WfnQpH1P3H # May 16, 2013
- God Has Enough Grace for Everybody: At the suggestion of a follower on twitter (thanks @b... http://t.co/eEWkznGshQ # May 14, 2013